Saturday, November 04, 2006

"I don't wan' it...."

So how to come back at that??? From a two year old???? Before you've even set tea on the table????

I don't know what all the rest of you would say, but this week I have been "Mummy the Mean" and am about to become "Mummy the Even Meaner".

I have decided that I am tired of preparing two different meals (all she will eat for dinner is corn-on-the-cob, plain pasta, plain rice and egg and toast) so this week I have given her pretty much what I have had. So the menu has been meat and 3 veg, vegie soup and toast, pasta and meatballs and rice and stir fry. I didn't give her the sauces for the pasta and the stir fry because I am nothing if not kind and know that she really actually doesn't like tomatoes (established early on) and satay sauce is really a bit hot for her (as well as containing peanuts).

Tonight was a delicious tuna pasta bake lovingly prepared and much enjoyed by both me and XDH. Of course, true to form, the girlie would not even try it - pushing it away before we had even said grace. So, as I have done all week when she has refused food I said "Well, that's what we're having and that's all there is" and she got down from the table.

What she doesn't know (and this is where my new title comes in) is that I made enough so that we could have the leftovers tomorrow night. And since she hasn't touched hers I have no cumpunction not to serve it to her tomorrow night.

I wonder how long both of us can hold out?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like my DS he dosent eat chunks of meat, loves plain pasta and bread.will eat more meals if they are like a cassarole,e.g. all of the food togther.Not fussy but hard at dinner time.
What to do?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Jen from Frugals here! I told my children that in order to be a mummy, you have to pass the 'Mean Mummy Test' and I passed it twice. Recently, my daughter said that if you fail, you get to be the Daddy ... hmmmmm ... anyways, when they tell me I'm mean, I point out that yes, because I passed!! Smiles, and good luck with the eating ...

Anonymous said...

Good on you. Stick to it. I did the same with my girls and it worked. The only thing I did is I always provided the sauce for the pasta but I put it on the side and sometimes they would actually try it and discover that they did actually like it. I would also get them to help with the littlest of things so that they had helped get it ready, help to put the pasta into a measuring cup, supervised at the bench.
Good Luck

Anonymous said...

I've gotten so tired of my DD3 not eating anything that I cook that i now don't care if I don't serve dinner at all some nights. Tuff, she can have a sandwich when she's hungry. Why prepare lengthy nutritious meals if she doesn't eat them. Grrr !

SSS