Sunday, February 25, 2007

Book musings...

I have recently become addicted to Chick Lit. Like most other addictions it has come to me gradually - a little bit Of Louise Rennison here, and a little bit of Bridget Jones there... until eventually it is all i am reading! At first, I was ashamed of my little personal problem, but now I shout it out from the rooftops! I am a chick lit fan!!!! Well, perhaps not shout, maybe more of a little "hey, I'm really enjoying this book".

So, why do I like it? When I have been a hard core fantasy buff all these years??? I'm not really sure. They have escapism in common, but not much else. One purports to deal with real life (but how many sexy gardeners do you know who routinely take their shirt off in chapter 14?? Not enough, that's how many!) and the other has magic in it that tends to happen at just the right time... hang on.... maybe they do have more in common that is evident at first glance LOL.

Like all genres, there are good and bad books, some more 'fluffy' than others. And as the characters get older it's called Hen Lit!

Some that I have found good are - Sophie Kinsella, Helen Fielding (of course, the founder of the movement!), Melanie La'Brooy, Lousie Rennison (teenchiklit) and Ilsa Evans.

And if these are all out at your library, put them on reserve and ask your ever-helpful librarian to recommend something new!

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I duuno, are you sure your ready to admit this?
There is only so much Isia Evans I can handle {never again} and Maive Beachey, pppllleasseee somebody save me from that rubbish, so ho-hum!!
Give me a good biography, I'm sooo nosey! I love them! hehehehe
Although have recently discovered Joy Deitman and I could read her novels again and again and again, thats odd for me really.
Been there done that kind girl, thats me.
Fantasy, could never get my head around them, I'm even having serious trouble with Lemony Snicket............
{sorry for miss-spelt authors}
Catch ya later.